Glanvilles Wootton is a small village of less than 200 people and around 100 houses located in north Dorset about 6 miles south of Sherborne. It is located in the beautiful Vale of the White Hart.
The coat of arms derives from Henry de Glanville who was granted lordship of Wootton Glanville in 1210. The parish was described having ‘nearly 1700 acres of rich land and the population of about 300.’ The family died out around 1790. Many people locally used both names to refer to our village until the name, Glanvilles Wootton, was formalised in 1985.
We now have a new village sign featuring the coat of arms derived from Henry de Glanville. Our village is named after him. This solid oak framework, jointed in the traditional manner for green oak, is the work of James House of Newlands Lane who generously gave of his skill and time in its construction.
We welcome any feedback good or bad! The idea behind the website is to tell new people about our wonderful village and to keep all residents up-to-date about what is happening in and around the local area. This is a community website so contributions are always welcomed. The White Hart Vale Magazine, which comes out bi-monthly and is delivered free to all households, also gives this sort of information but covers all the seven villages that make up the White Hart Vale (Bishops Caundle, Caundle Marsh, Folke, Glanvilles Wootton, Holnest, Holwell and Pulham).
RECYCLING PRINTER CARTRIDGES FOR SHINE 21
Click here to support this very worthwhile cause.